Current:Home > NewsRekubit Exchange:Dutch court convicts pro-Syrian government militia member of illegally detaining, torturing civilian -BeyondProfit Compass
Rekubit Exchange:Dutch court convicts pro-Syrian government militia member of illegally detaining, torturing civilian
Indexbit View
Date:2025-04-07 07:40:10
THE HAGUE,Rekubit Exchange Netherlands (AP) — A Dutch court convicted Monday a former high-ranking member of a pro-Syrian government militia of illegal detention and complicity in torture, sentencing him to 12 years in prison.
The defendant, identified only as Mustafa A. in line with Dutch privacy laws, was found guilty in the 2013 arrest and inhumane treatment of a civilian while serving in the pro-Damascus Liwa al-Quds militia.
The 35-year-old was tried in The Hague District Court based on universal jurisdiction, a legal principle that allows suspects to be prosecuted for international offenses such as war crimes even if they are committed in another country.
The court called the militia a criminal organization whose members “were guilty of war crimes such as looting and violence against civilians and unlawful deprivation of liberty of civilians.”
A. was specifically convicted of illegal detention and complicity in the torture of a Palestinian man who was dragged out of his home at a refugee camp near the city of Aleppo and handed to the Syrian Air Force Intelligence Service, whose members subjected him to repeated torture, the court said.
He was acquitted in the arrest and torture of a second Palestinian man the same night because the court said it could not establish his personal involvement.
The defendant was granted asylum in the Netherlands in 2020 and was arrested after judicial authorities received tips that he had been a member of the Liwa al-Quds militia.
At an earlier hearing, A. denied the charges and said he was in the militia only to fight terrorists and defend his family and people. During his trial, he repeatedly declined to answer questions.
The Netherlands has arrested several suspects from Syria for alleged atrocities in their country’s civil war. The Netherlands and Canada also have jointly accused Damascus of a years-long campaign of “institutionalized” torture against Syrians in a case filed at the Hague-based International Court of Justice, the United Nations’ highest court.
The Netherlands is not alone in seeking justice for crimes in Syria.
A German court convicted a former member of Assad’s secret police for facilitating the torture of prisoners. Another German court convicted a Syrian man of torturing captives while he was a member of the Islamic State group in Syria.
France, meanwhile, has issued arrest warrants for three high-ranking Syrian intelligence officers accused of complicity in crimes against humanity in the deaths of a father and son who disappeared a decade ago.
veryGood! (4)
Related
- Dick Vitale announces he is cancer free: 'Santa Claus came early'
- Fire at home of Dolphins' star Tyreek Hill was accidental. Fire marshal reveals cause
- Family whose son died in accidental shooting fights to change gun safety laws
- Scenes of loss play out across Japan’s western coastline after quake kills 84, dozens still missing
- Krispy Kreme offers a free dozen Grinch green doughnuts: When to get the deal
- Proud Boys member who went on the run after conviction in the Jan. 6 riot gets 10 years in prison
- Hershey sued for $5M over missing 'cute' face on Reese's Peanut Butter Pumpkins
- Charles Melton Reveals the Diet That Helped Him Gain 40 Pounds for May December Role
- The Grammy nominee you need to hear: Esperanza Spalding
- Armed ethnic alliance in northern Myanmar is said to have seized a city that was a key goal
Ranking
- Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow owns a $3 million Batmobile Tumbler
- Don Read, who led Montana to first national college football title, dies at 90
- This Valentine's Day, let Sweethearts 'Situationship Boxes' have the awkward conversations
- Neo-Nazi podcasters sent to prison on terror charges for targeting Prince Harry and his young son
- Tarte Shape Tape Concealer Sells Once Every 4 Seconds: Get 50% Off Before It's Gone
- Charles Melton makes Paul Dano 'blush like a schoolboy' at 2024 NYFCC Awards
- Dozens injured after two subway trains collide, derail in Manhattan
- Mexico’s president clarifies that 32 abducted migrants were freed, not rescued
Recommendation
Tarte Shape Tape Concealer Sells Once Every 4 Seconds: Get 50% Off Before It's Gone
Crib videos offer clue to mysterious child deaths, showing seizures sometimes play a role
Shaquille O'Neal will become first Orlando Magic player to have his jersey retired
Chick-fil-A is bringing back Mango Passion Sunjoy, adding 3 new drinks: How you can order
Tarte Shape Tape Concealer Sells Once Every 4 Seconds: Get 50% Off Before It's Gone
Britney Spears says she will 'never return to the music industry' amid new album rumors
St. Petersburg seeks profile boost as new Tampa Bay Rays ballpark negotiations continue
SpaceX accused of unlawfully firing employees who were critical of Elon Musk